It’s March, which brings Spring Break and days to dive into Ambassador by William Alexander, the next Deep Blue Readers book club selection and Young People’s Literature Finalist in this year’s Minnesota Book Awards.
Physics lovers will enjoy this clever series opener—but so will those who enjoy comedy, politics, diplomacy or strange-looking aliens.
– Starred Review, Kirkus
We are so excited to welcome Will back to Valley Bookseller to talk with us at 1:30pm, Sun 3/29. What a treat to have our very first repeat guest author! Wow — his first visit to Deep Blue Readers even pre-dates our website!
Set right here in the Twin Cities, Ambassador is the first of two books introducing readers to Gabe Fuentes, his menagerie of exotic pets, vibrant family, and the very real intrusions into their Minneapolis life — including an alien who asks Gabe to accept the dubious and daunting mission of Earth’s Ambassador to the Galaxy. Be prepared for a cliffhanger ending and a hopefully short wait until the next title’s release.
- The Star Tribune and The New York Times review Ambassador
- Who would you want as the first speaker to an alien civilization? John Scalzi asks in this fun interview with Will, who also waxes philosophical on Star Trek and neoteny
- Ambassador‘s stellar launch party happened at Como Elementary Planetarium
- InkyGirl.com talked with Will as he was still working on Ambassador, and links to a video of his 2012 National Book Awards acceptance speech for Goblin Secrets
- See a picture of the super cool fox mask he told us about, plus a few hints about how Gabe became the focal character for Ambassador thanks to WhatWasOn
- Will shared his love of Ursula LeGuin’s novels with us during his first visit — if you weren’t able to be there, The Enchanted Inkpot offers a chance to learn more